It used to be that if you were launching a business, all you had to do was get an office, print some business cards and maybe take out an ad or two to spread the word. Today, the most important thing is to effectively launch your business ONLINE. That’s where people will be looking for you on their computers, phones and tablets.
Here are 5 key online steps you need to take if you’re launching a business today…
- Register your domain – Your domain is your address online. Keep it as simple and close to your business name as possible – after all, “yourbusinessname.com” is what people will naturally type if they’re searching for you. Don’t get tricky – it could cost you clients.
- Launch an effective website – This is not as easy as it sounds. Yes there are a ton of DIY options that let you build and launch a website in minutes… and they often look like they were built by someone who doesn’t know much about building a website. A website that will make you look professional should be built by professionals. And we won’t even get into all the SEO-behind-the-scenes stuff that many DIY-ers forget entirely.
- Set up your Social Media Pages – Your social media presence is just as important as your website. Social pages like Facebook and Twitter not only give you more places to be found, but provide a fast way for you to connect directly with your prospects and customers.
- Claim your business pages – A well-established business can be found all over the Web, not just on your website. Along with your social pages, you need to claim your Google My Business and Bing for Business pages. These listings carry a lot of weight with search engines. They can help you establish your business online and make it easier for you to get found.
- Promote your website online and offline – Once you have a website, you have to drive people to it.
• Offline is easy – be sure to put your new website on your signage, your business cards, your stationary (and emails).
• Online – claiming your business pages is a good start, but you should also consider a Search Marketing and/or Display Advertising campaign to forcefully announce yourself to the Web (and to any potential clients searching for what you do).
Obviously there’s a lot more to launching a business than these five steps – but if you start with these, you’ll be well on your way to establishing your new business on the online… and today, that’s where your customers are looking for you.